Tuesday, May 1, 2007

Why today?

Today is Tuesday, May 1, and this is the very first day of recording the wonders of my waitressng career.

So, why today?

Well, there are a number of reasons today....

First, because I have to go to work tonight - I have to go to work in about an hour. And Tuesdays are pointless. There is no money to be made tonight. It is really a waste of time. A day that I work to help the restaurant out so they will let me work Friday AND Saturday night. Seriously, in what other profession would a worker go to work unsure if they will actually get paid? OK - so I will be getting that $2.63 (or is it $2.68???) an hour, but that barely covers my gas money to get there!

The other reason for needing to vent today is that the last day I worked, Saturday, was a VERY bad night. A disaster! The kitchen crashed. (For those of you without a restaurant background - CRASHED means that they went down, just like an airplane - IN FLAMES!!) This causes so many problems for waitresses (and waiters!!) that I don't even know where to start. People don't come in to the restaurant because they are told the wait is too long, they wait even longer when they arrive, so we start each table with irritated customers, food takes too long, people get mad at us, and in the end we make less money and go home with a headache.

After years of saying that I was going to start writing down some of my restaurant experiences, I finally did it. The stories that will soon be appearing in this blog will all be true. I have been a waitress since I was 15, so I have had plenty of them to share. After talking with so many waitresses from so many types of restaurants, I have found that there are many of you out there who can relate.

This is to you.
Enjoy

No comments: