Thursday, June 14, 2007

Grow Up

On one really, really bad night, I got the pleasure of waiting on a very immature group of teens. This is not even close to the first group of immature teens that I have had the pleasure of waiting on, but this group certainly stood out.

While waiting for their meals to arrive, they somehow managed to throw popcorn so far that they almost hit another table. I was almost impressed. When their meals arrived, they all seemed top settle down a little. They made it through the meal with only one spill. I was definitely impressed.

As I was starting to clean up after they were finished, they decided to order dessert. No problem, right? We offer a Chocolate Fudge Cake which is one of the most popular desserts available. (Chocolate cake, ice cream, hot fudge...Who could resist?!?)

Anyway...

"I'll take the Chocolate Fudge Packer Cake." Now, keep in mind, I had already had a very rough night. I was not in the right frame of mind to be taking any more crap from a 15 year old. One of his friends spoke my thoughts, "Grow Up."

With the most disgusted look I could muster, I left the table. I made the cake and brought it back. When I slammed it down in the middle of the table, the group ordered another one, only this time they ordered it correctly.

One of my managers had overheard the entire exchange. As the group was leaving, he caught the boy and pulled him aside. They had a little discussion, and I could see them head over toward me. Sure enough, my manager was making him apologize. The junior high teacher in me couldn't help feeling some compassion - and pointing out the lesson in this - Don't say things like that because you could seriously offend someone.

I'm pretty sure that kid grew up a little that night. I may never know, though, I think he's still a little too scared to show his face in our restaurant again.

4 comments:

heavenabove said...

You oughta hear the talk from the young kids cooking these days! Terrible to say the least.

Waitress4Life said...

I agree - All I can think is, my mother would have killed me!

Guess this means I am officially getting older now...

~*~Snappz~*~ said...

Let's hope he really did learn a lesson.
Kudos to you for not saying something and keeping your temper! I don't know whether I would have been able to!
Isn't it amazing the way things have changed, and the way kids act now?
It's actually kind of sad.

Anonymous said...

May be a young ignoramus here, but what's up with "Packer" making a cake gross? I don't understand the offense.