Monday, June 18, 2007

The Cost of Appearances

I recently realized that my favorite black work shirt has a small bleach stain on the front. I started digging through some of my older shirts because I am a little too cheap to purchase another one 2 months before we get a face lift and all new uniforms anyway.


The red one has a small hole in the armpit.


The lime green one has several grease stains around the waist.


The bright blue one has two round stains on very noticeable parts of the chest. (NO IDEA how that got there without being noticed!!)


The navy shirt is too large.


Why am I so cheap about buying a new shirt? Well, for starters, I make $2.63 per hour, so it would actually take me AN ENTIRE night to earn enough from the restaurant to purchase a new shirt. (Assuming they didn't give all of my money to the government for taxes...)




Here's how how much my current uniform actually costs me:


1 Work Shirt $9.99 (Almost 4 hours to earn.)


1 Pair of dress pants $24 (10 1/2 hours)


1 Pair of Safety Shoes $30 (Almost 11 1/2 hours)


Black Socks 2 for $3 (Less than 1 hour!!)


Apron - FREE!!


The work shirt that I receive when I spill a tray full of drinks down the front of myself on a busy night *** FREE!

No comments: