Thursday, November 29, 2007

Happy Holidays

Tis the season, right?

I once read this article posted in our break room that servers who put smiley faces on their checks as they hand them out make an average of 13% more in tips.

Ok - sounds like an easy way to remind customers that I am a cheerful person and a wonderful waitress as they try to figure out what to leave me.
So I had to give it a try. Just to be an overachiever, I started writing "Thank You" on each check just above the little smiley face.

It may have padded my pocket a little bit, but not too noticibly.

However, for the last week I replaced the "Thank You" with "Happy Holidays", and that is a jackpot! Every night I've worked has averaged 25-30% in tips!

Maybe I'll just write "Happy Holidays" year round!!

2 comments:

Upset Waitress said...

Thanks for the tip. I'm gonna start doing this tomorrow. I'll report my success. :)

Amber / Obsidian Dragon said...

I do that on all my checks...in brightly colored marker (green currently). My tips still mostly suck. That could be, though, because the place I work is in the poorest county of NC...where you don't want the regulars half the time, you want the travelers, because they're the only ones who can tip worth shit.

I get really creative out of boredom sometimes. Around Halloween (orange marker!) I was drawing pumpkins, too. Later into December, I'll bring the snowflake hole punch.

...my shtick is the quirky/silly waitress. Can you tell?