Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Who's Gonna Pay Me?!?

Tonight will be my very first bar shift!!

I have had the training. I studied the recipe books until my eyes crossed, and I am ready!!

This SHOULD be an exciting night!!!



So how come I feel a little guilty about working tonight?

Here's the REAL story. The reason I am working tonight is beacuse I was added as the third bartender. The extra help put in place by the additional business we still haven't benefited from.

Since the restaurant only pays bartenders $3.65, - I know, I get a raise!!! - my actual pay will come from the two bartenders already on. Yep, at the end of the night, they pool their tips, then figure out how many hours each worked and everybody gets paid the same rate per hour.

Now they have to pay me too. So, if we don't make any extra money because of all that extra business, they are basically paying me out of the money that they would be taking home to pay bills with. To make matters even worse, I know how much they have each counted on thir Wed night money to make up for other nights.

So here's my question - Why does the restaurant get to decide to hire extra help, then expect their current employees to pay them? I guess it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.......

3 comments:

karoline in the morning said...

hope it went well for you...

heavenabove said...

Seems like lots of things don't always make a lot of sense in this business. Hope you had fun on that shift. All the waiters and waitresses I work with now just love when they get the bartending shift.

Upset Waitress said...

I'm so glad to be away from bartending. Even though we pulled our tips the money was good. However, those hours just suck. And I hated being stuck at the service bar. Ahh well. Now a days I just stick breakfast shifts. =)